Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Domestic Goddess



This week marks the sad end of my having a personal Domestic Goddess. I used to think the term was "Domestic Helper", but having had one for the last 3 weeks, I have decided they should be promoted to near deity status. You see, another upside to a c-section was the tremendous outpouring of sympathy from my Mother-in-law and sister-in-law who stayed 2, and 1 weeks respectively to help out. Yes, the math is correct if you are thinking "What?! She had THREE weeeks of help?!". Lucky me, I know. Perhaps a little too profoundly do I know.
For now you see, I am on my own. YIKES. If I had only known how much I would miss them I would have abandoned the restraint I used to stop myself from physically throwing myself at their feet, begging them to please stay, while weeping piteously.
Even as I read this my pride and indepence cringe at the honesty of my despair, but I don't care! All those times I thumbed my nose at those lucky women who hire out domestic help, I can only now say I have been humbled. Yes, I am now just downright envious.
Forget the joy and satisfaction of hard work. Forget the joy of discipline, the satisfaction of independence. I just really, really want to sleep in and wake up to breakfast in bed, with the freshly washed laundry put away.
I guess I'll just have to have another baby...

2 comments:

Natalie said...

You deserve every ounce of it! But, you're right...too bad it only comes when you have a baby.

Unknown said...

I found my way to your blog via Grampa Damiano's computer, since he keeps a link on his desktop. To hear myself referred to as a domestic goddess is profound. As for me, I would come and help anytime just to see all of you and be able to connect with the kids. Wish you didn't live so far away! But if you want, I will come again and you don't have to have another baby! I love you all. Grandma D