Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Living Happily Ever After


16 years ago after my husband and I were recently engaged. As most of you know, the vast majority of our courtship/enagement was long distance. One evening he called me per our usual routine, and he was especially effusive in his devotion to me.

He had been relaying to me that earlier that evening he had done dishes for his family after dinner, and explained how much he hated doing dishes. But it had put him to thinking. He loved me soooooo much, that he promised that after we were married, he would see to it that I would NEVER have to wash another dish again. Ever. He didn't want his beloved to ever endure the agonies of dishwashing.

Thankfully, I had enough sense to get a really good laugh out of that. I gratefully explained that although very sweet, it was highly unrealistic, and that as much as I appreciated the sentiment, I thought it was important we not start off by making promises we would not be able to keep. He insisted he would do it.

It lasted 2 days.

However, I bore him no ill will, I knew it was inevitable. Sweet, but inevitable.

But this story does have a happy ending after all. You see, although he was not able to carry out that particular act of kindness, he is still the same selfless, wildly-in-love-with-me man I married. (Still not entirely sure why, I try not to ask)

Here I am, 35 weeks into gestating our sixth child, and pretty much an invalid. My major accomplishment of the day is getting my kids to school (not necessarily on time), maybe getting a shower, and possibly throwing a load of laundry in the wash. The rest of the time I'm in between bed and the lazy boy chair.

So how is he handling all this? Far better than I would.

The last couple of weeks he has amazed me with his generosity and kindness regarding my condition. That same selfless young man I married is out in full force.

It would be too long of a list to make, but a sampling of his kindnesses to me recently include:
*Pouring me a hot bath first thing in the morning to ease my aching muscles
*Making me breakfast in bed
*Staying up much later than he would have liked to fold and put away the mountain of laundry I could only manage to get washed and dried.
*Getting all 5 children dressed and ready for church so I only had to focus on dressing myself
*Making every meal all weekend long, doing all the accompanying dishes, and even making cupcakes with Olivia.
*Bringing me home sugar-free, carbonated, icy cold caffeine
*Surprising me with a painting project I've wanted to do for 6 months (the loft looks so awesome honey, thanks!)
*Giving up his "electronic gadget" slush fund so I could buy the aptly named lazy-boy recliner

Not sure how I managed to get so lucky.

I love you, honey!!!!!

6 comments:

Hildie said...

Oh I know why he does it. He's afraid of the Tiffster!

P.S. That promise he made that you would never do dishes? i almost threw up I was laughing so hard!

Bethany said...

Such a sweet post!

(Hope you feel better - or deliver - soon!)

Britney said...

I think he's been put to the ultimate test and come out with flying colors! Love this post Tiff! Thanks!
p.s. Hang in there, you're in the home stretch! Just sit in that new chair and concentrate on your most important task... gestating!

Financial Aid for College said...

Did it ever occur to you that even while pregnant you are one of the most beautiful women on the planet? I weep that they didn't have "America's Got Talent" when you were in college.

But then, if they had, you would have won and gone on to fame and fortune because NOBODY could have beat you in the talent or beauty categories, and you would eventually have become a drug addicted prima-donna like so many, and crashed your life, and would never have met Mr. J on his mission in Russia, and had such a happy marriage and 5.8 gorgeous kids or lived happily ever after in your recliner. No, I don't mean you were married or had kids in your recliner...I mean... Never mind.

Did I tell you I bought an utterly cushy recliner to SLEEP in every night?! It's fabulous! (since I don't need a bed for playtime.)

Carole said...

Love you guys... Love the picture too :)

Financial Aid for College said...

Blessings upon you! You are a courageous, unselfish woman, and I am PROUD of you! YOU ROCK!