Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Movie



Several years back I had a spell of insomnia, during which time I became hooked on "Turner Classic Movies". It is when I first fell in love with the name Olivia (after Olivia DeHavalind), and where my crush on Jimmy Stewart was carved in stone. It is also the first time I saw "Christmas in Connecticut".

Every year I just HAVE to watch this one at least once. It's not so much a Christmas Story as a romance that happens at Christmas. I could poke all kinds of holes in the plot, but by golly, I love it.

Barbara Stanwick is divine, and she and Dennis Morgan have the greatest chemistry. It makes me all sentimental and romantic. (Jared and I first started "dating" around Christmas time and it makes me all twittery to think about it...)

Every time I see it I vow that in the next life I too will wear gowns, mink coats, and silk blouses with high waisted trousers. My nose will never need powder, or my lipstick touching up. Instead, I will be ready at a moments notice for a romantic sleigh ride in the snow with my dashing leading man. All while being a wildly independent woman of the world, naturally.

So if you're looking for a video to keep you awake as you wrap up your gifts, get this one. (But whatever you do, be sure you do NOT get the awful Dyan Cannon, Kristofer Kross remake, mmmK?)

2 comments:

amanda said...

Being my aunt and all, I can't believe you've never shared this one with me! ;) Maybe this year??

Can't wait to see you!

Financial Aid for College said...

Wow, I'm glad to know that. I'll get it from Netflix today! (I don't suppose it's in any of the big video stores.)

By the way, I can never again find one of my favorite romantic Christmas songs, Tif. Do you know "Christmas Bride?" It was MY song the year I got engaged at Christmas. So beautiful, lilting and romantic!!

OH MY GOSH! THANK HEAVENS FOR YOU-TUBE! I FOUND THE SONG!!! PLEASE LISTEN TO IT!!! (I grinned all the way through!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPZhqlH-pgg&feature=related