Thursday, December 10, 2009

Calm-pound Words


The other day Olivia and I were unloading the dishwasher together.

"Mommy, I know what a compound word is."

"Really? That's great. What are some compound words?"

She proceeded to list a few, some compound, but mostly just 2 syllable words. So together we talked about how a compound word is two words put together to make a new word. That for a word to be a compound word, both parts have to be a word all by themselves.

She lit up.

"I know! 'Compound' is a compound word!" she said.


"Really?" I said. "I know 'pound' is a word, but what about 'com'?"

"You know, how when we're being noisy you always tell us to 'com' down?"

I laughed and told her she was right.

All that schoolin' is really paying off.

1 comment:

Financial Aid for College said...

HUGE AND LONG LAUGHTER! Aren't kids great! This is why we pay them to live with us.

And, indeed, we ALL need to com down. Especially when it comes to all our prolific, time-wasting, .com searches.