Monday, January 3, 2011

Reasonable Resolutions Rock

(the kiddos, in full anticipation of the goodies that await downstairs Christmas Morn)

Last year I resolved to have accomplished 3 things only, and for them to all happen by the end of March. It had been a rough year, and I felt it was important to be kind and realistic with myself.

I am happy to report that I successfully achieved all of them within the time frame I had set for myself! By the end of March I had succeeded in 1. having a baby 2. losing 20 pounds 3. taking down my Christmas decor (the last was a nail-biter, I have to admit)

I was so pleased with myself, I even decided to take on something I had avoided my whole life. I decided to learn to make bread. Shocking, I know.

Again, although it took me until Thanksgiving to really test my first weak efforts, I managed to make the the MOST delicious, fluffy rolls for Thanksgiving. They were "freezer rolls" so I had actually sworn my way through the whole process wondering why I didn't just buy stupid Rhodes Rolls, but to my utter surprise and delight, come Thanksgiving day, they were fantastic! I was so surprised, I haven't had the nerve to make them since, afraid it was a fluke. Nonethless, I'm checking it off my list as a success.

So this year, I am feeling cautiously more ambitious. (really, I ought to know better)
I have managed to narrow my list down to a few items.

1. To write and submit an article for the BYU Alumni magazine. Not an article really, but little ditty telling how I have used my college education in an unexpected way in my life. The $50 check for accepted submissions is the golden carrot. (If I succeed, I think the prize should go towards a spiffy new pair of shoes for myself, but it will likely go toward our debt snowball to pay for said college education)

2. (upping the above ante) To write and submit an article to the Ensign Magazine. I am narrowing my list of possible topics, but I think I have an awful lot to say to folks, and flatter myself that someone else actually wants to hear it.

3. To pay off our last credit card and car payment, EVER! We have been working very diligently this year to get out of debt except the house, and it is looking within reach by March. (We will then attack those stubborn student loans with a VENGEANCE)

4. To shower before the kids get home from school. (Oh, wait. That's for today. sorry.)

So, there we are. I think I ought to be able to do those by March, and then I may go for one more by the end of the year. Like my usual, "get organized". LOL

2 comments:

Natalie J said...

All of them are very realistic and attainable. Good job!

Financial Aid for College said...

What an overachiever!