Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Book Club

I should be doing a sink full of dishes, and cleaning up the tornado that swept through my children's prison, I mean bedrooms, upstairs during book club.
Instead, I am blogging.
Just had to say we had a delightful book club tonight. (Our neighborhood ladies) The book was "A long way from Chicago" and the sequel, "A year down yonder" by Richard Peck. Very, very delightful read. Lighted hearted, funny and poignant.
The book inspired the evening's treats (hence the dishes).
Fresh, hot, fluffy biscuits and jam, prohibition era sasparilla, chicago hot dogs (okay, lil' smokies) and homeade apple pie. Of course we had some veggies "from Grandma Dowdels garden" to keep our figures in check... We even "churned" our own butter in a mason jar to spread on the biscuits.
See, book club without wine CAN be fun!

5 comments:

Hildie said...

Sign me up!

Carole said...

Never been to a book club WITH wine..... might be a nice change of pace (I kid). I want to come to your house for the next book club meeting-- but I will be here feeding my birds because they are now dependent on me and I feel guilty when I see the feeder empty!

Natalie said...

Fun! I need to go to a real book club. The RS book clubs are always boring because there are so many restrictions on the books we can read, and someone is always offended. :)

Financial Aid for College said...

Oooooo, Yummy! Some great new books to read! Thanks, Tiff! Fill me in on any more good one's you find.

Jennie W. got me onto "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peeling Pie Society." It was super!

Hildie said...

Where are those pics from California?