Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Aren't there child labor laws?

Warning: This post contains a gripe

Today is September 30. The first day of school here was September 8. By my calculation, that means school has been in session for 22 days.

I have had children in my neighborhood ring my doorbell for THREE different fundraisers for the SAME SCHOOL. The first knock came, I kid you not, within 30 minutes of the bus dropping them off the FIRST DAY. That means that on the first day of school, they found time for an assembly to make salespeople out of them. Priorities I suppose. (That does not count the overlap from the 8 children in the neighborhood, all selling 3 different things, for a total of 24 solicitations in 22 days)

Not only do I NOT need, or want, overpriced Happenings Books (that contain coupons for places at least 2 counties away), disgusting cookie dough (I know, I've tried it the last 2 years), or frozen (cardboard) pizzas.

On top of all this, 2 years ago a bond was passed that increased our property taxes to help fund the schools. The irony of course is, that my children do not even ATTEND these schools. (Never mind that the district still gets the $14,000 in funds for the transportation they do not provide us ...) I remember the first year we were here our children did attend this school. I also remember one of them in TEARS because I wouldn't let them go door to door to sell, and hence, they could not win the limo ride to McDonalds for being the top salesperson.

My children (thankfully) attend charter schools that manage to produce outstanding test results with a fraction of the funds that the other local schools provide. Better yet, they have never pimped my children to PAY for any of it. Are there fundraisers? Yes. But guess what? I get clothing they can wear to school for the money! I have bid on items I actually WANTED at auctions in order to raise money for the PLAYGROUND our state funds will not afford us!

If my memory serves me, before Christmas I will also receive solicitations for "Butter Braids" ($12.00 a pop) and wrapping paper. I'm going to JUST SAY NO!!!

I am so glad I am able to send my children to a school where the education is the priority. I think all anyone else is doing is training a door to door sales force. Heaven knows with the education they get at school, that's all they'll be able to do.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't like it when those knocks come on our door either. Especially when they are raising money just "for school"--not even something specific. I hated having to sell stuff when I was in school, but even then it was when I was in high school and we were raising money for a trip (for band). So I don't blame you for saying no.

Natalie said...

How annoying! Our schools don't allow the kids to go door to door. thank goodness!

Carole said...

We are having our JOG a THON tomorrow. The money raised is for SPECIFIC field trips that have been CUT from the budget thanks to the lovely governor. My kids didn't want to call any family members and they aren't allowed to go door to door. I chipped in what I thought would be a fair deal for them each to have two decent field trips. Enough. Every penny will go towards the transportation and tickets to museums, zoos, etc. I WILL NOT be buying any overpriced wrapping paper or cookie dough either. IT IS RIDICULOUS!! Glad you have found a school that your children enjoy and so do you :)

Financial Aid for College said...

I wonder if you could just post a note on your door (perhaps with a picture of a nasty witch) saying:
"No Salespeople or school sales. I will eat you if you knock."